Re: Re: address@hidden: setting utf-16 as file-name-coding-system locks

From: Mattis
Subject: Re: Re: address@hidden: setting utf-16 as file-name-coding-system locks up emacs]
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:49:03 +0200

> The answer would be to use Unicode-aware Win32 API functions
> instead of the standard C library, but such functions are only
> supported on some versions of Windows, so determining
> when to use them and when not to is a problem.

Well, probably, yes. I agree that this might not be a high prio case,
but IMHO it should be solved sooner or later.

> It is quite unusual for users to enter filenames in languages
> other than their own

Probably. I had a real-world problem though even though it might
not be very common.

Anyway, I do not want to argue about priorities here, but I want
to remind you of the second problem, the "freeze" that happens
on both Windows and GNU/Linux:

1. $ emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file

2. (setq debug-on-init t)

3. (setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-16-le)

4. Wait for a while

See now how emacs seems to "freeze". It is possible to unfreeze it
using C-g and then a debug outout like this is displayed:

  ange-ftp-completion-hook-function(file-exists-p "/")
  file-exists-p("/")
  make-directory("/home/mathias/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/" t)

As the primary problem will not be solved (unicode support for file names)
I will not be affected by the problem above in a real-world case, but I
wanted you to know that something is fishy here, even on GNU/Linux.

Thanks for the help!

/Mathias