Re: bug in frame-width

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: bug in frame-width
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:51:50 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       Indeed, exacly 80 characters fit on the screen.

       ELISP> (fringe-mode 0)
       nil

       Now 83 characters fit on the screen.  But we still get:

       ELISP> (frame-width)
       80

   Can you debug it and fix it?

The problem is that the bug does not seem to be in `fringe-mode', but
in parts of the C code that are supposed to resize X windows.  I am
not very familiar with that stuff.

The problem is that if I use `modify-frame-parameters' to change the
`left-fringe' or `right-fringe' parameters, then (frame-width)
actually _should_ stay the same, but the X window should narrow or
broaden.  This does not happen.

Note, by contrast, that if I use `modify-frame-parameters' to change
`menu-bar-lines', then the X window _does_ grow smaller or taller.

Sincerely,

Luc.