Re: bug in frame-width

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: bug in frame-width
Date: 12 Aug 2004 01:12:09 -0400

> The problem is that if I use `modify-frame-parameters' to change the
> `left-fringe' or `right-fringe' parameters, then (frame-width)
> actually _should_ stay the same, but the X window should narrow or
> broaden.  This does not happen.

The general rule of thumb in X11 is that an application should only change
its window's position and size if the user explicitly asks for it.  When the
user asks to change the fringe, she does not request a change in the
window's size, so frame-width should change so that the window's pixel
size stays constant, not the other way around.

> Note, by contrast, that if I use `modify-frame-parameters' to change
> `menu-bar-lines', then the X window _does_ grow smaller or taller.

Yes, it's been that way for a while, but I think it's bad behavior.

        Stefan