Re: bug in frame-width

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug in frame-width
Date: 12 Aug 2004 11:36:10 -0400

>> The general rule of thumb in X11 is that an application should only change
>> its window's position and size if the user explicitly asks for it.
> I would not say that it is a rule of thumb.

True, it's more of a convention about what a good UI should do.
Another such convention is not to move the mouse pointer unless it's
*really* The Right Thing to do.

> After all, xterm resizes itself when the scroll bar is enabled/disabled.
> Also, changing font size does resize the window to keep number of rows and
> columns the same in both xterm and Emacs.

Yes, it's a convention that is not always followed.  I consider most if not
all of those counter examples as bugs.

Some people sometimes follow the convention that "the geometry as given by
the -geometry parameter should be preserved", i.e. in xterm and Emacs the
number of lines/columns should be preserved rather than the pixel size of
the window.

IMNSHO, at startup, the -geometry argument should take precedence of course
(after all, it's not a question of changing the size but of setting the
initial size), but after the initial setup, any request to change some
aspect of the window other than its size should not change its size.

For Emacs that implies that we should distinguish fringe-changes made in the
.emacs from those made later.

        Stefan