Re: Rebinding international characters

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Rebinding international characters
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:06:07 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>>      If you bind 8-bit characters like this in your init file, you may find
>> it
>>      convenient to specify that it is unibyte.  @xref{Enabling Multibyte}.

>>  Is that still correct?

>     No.

> Are you saying I should delete those two lines?

Yes.  Actually we should delete all paragraphs after this.

If you don't specify a keyboard coding system, that approach won't
work.  ...

because specifying a unibyte code doesn't wark anymore even
in --unibyte case.

> The tests you did are interesting, but it is not clear to me how
> they relate to the question of whether to specify that your
> .emacs file is a unibyte file.  Could you explain the relationship
> between these two issues?

In --unibyte case, read-key-sequence returns a vector of
multibyte character.  So, the key binding should also be
done for the same character instead of unibyte code.  But,
as unibyte buffer can't include such a character, what we
can do is only to specify a character code directly as this:

(global-set-key [2289] 'some-function)

But how to tell users to get the number 2289 in unibyte
mode?  Something like this?
    ESC : (read-event) RET
    and type a key

And, this stops working in emacs-unicode because the
character code is different.

Another approach is to modify read_key_sequence so that it
tries to find unibyte binding if multibyte binding was not
found (like the way for finding lowercase/uppercase).  Then,
the current info is still valid.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden