Re: Rebinding international characters

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Rebinding international characters
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:25:59 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
>     It is very unusual for people to rebind non-ASCII characters (at least
>     this is my impression based on the frequency of such questions in
>     gnu.emacs.help) and it has always been tricky to do and brittle (based
>     on the lack of useful and correct answers those rare questions
>     received), so I think that the current situation is already an
>     improvement and making it work for unibyte modes is not important.

Maybe people don't do it, because it seems like a hastle? If one reads
gnu.emacs.help and notices the few threads on binding non-ASCII keys,
this is not very encouraging. (If I ask myself, why I don't do it,
then I'd probably say that I was too lazy yet to check for the best
way to do it.)

However, on my German keyboard I have three non-ascii keys on the
three main rows. Two of them are actually on the home row, i.e. those
keys are very easy to type. So it's actually a shame not to use them
for Emacs keybindings. This might be similar for other European
keyboards.

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               4 Fructidor an 212 de la Révolution
Ostendstr. 61               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!