Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 06:55:09 +0300

> Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:35:45 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I believe I misunderstood some remarks in `(elisp)Standard File Names'.
>
> I thought I understood from it that MS-DOS uses `_' for extensions, but
> after careful reading, it appears to use `_' for "invisible" files.

There are no invisible files on MS-DOS.  It's just that the DOS
filesystem disallows leading dots in file names, so Emacs converts
that to an underscore.  That doesn't make the file invisible.

And the character before the extension is still a dot on DOS.

I admit that I don't see how is this relevant to the issue of ?.uu,
though.