Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:43:34 +0900 (JST)

How about passing file names via environment variables?
So the user can specify the environment variables to use the file names.

We use ${dired} for the replacement of `?'; and ${DIRED} for the
replacement of `*'. Prepend "export dired=...; export DIRED=...;"
to the command line given from the user.

So the user can use following command line to invoke uuencode:

   uuencode ${dired} ${dired} > ${dired}.uu

Of couser the variable name should be customizable.
We don't have to remove `*' and `?' replacement; the old method
and new method can live together.

Masatake