Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: 23 Aug 2004 21:59:07 +0200

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been struggling a bit with the installer. First I want to thank you
> for all suggestions. I have tried to take a look at most of them.
>
> Further down you will find a summary of my personal view of some different
> installers for MS Windows. I decided to use Inno Setup. I had already done
> some work with it, it is free, it has good scripting capabilities (which I
> needed in this case).
>
> Now I would like some suggestions. I hope you do not mind. First about where
> to install Emacs. On ms windows most programs are installed in "c:\program
> files\" as I guess you know. I see some alternatives (which I illustrate
> with where emacs.exe is found):
>
> A) "c:\program files\emacs\bin\emacs.exe
> B) "c:\program files\emacs-21.3\bin\emacs.exe
> C) "c:\program files\emacs\emacs\bin\emacs.exe
> D) "c:\program files\emacs\emacs-21.3\bin\emacs.exe
>
> Which one would you prefer? What about using "c:\program files"?

Most GNU programs have a concept of a "prefix" that folds out into
bin/lib/var/share subdirectories.  So the main idea would be to let
the user specify this "prefix" (for example, when installing into an
existing Cygwin tree) and let the prefix default to
  c:\program files\emacs
This would land the executable in choice A) or B).

> I include gnuclient and wonder where to put these exe-files.

Same place.  On systems where the current copy of Emacs is not
necessarily in the path, invocation-directory is the first choice for
looking for gnuclient.