Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:26:03 -0400

    Why not handle this problem in complete symmetry with the opposite problem?

    >From `(emacs)Shell Commands in Dired':

         If you want to use `*' as a shell wildcard with whitespace around
         it, write `*""'.  In the shell, this is equivalent to `*'; but
         since the `*' is not surrounded by whitespace, Dired does not
         treat it specially.

I expect that this rule does in fact apply to ? just as to *, but
people have less occasion to write ?"" than they have to write *"".

    My proposed generic solution handles the opposite problem (which we
    are now considering) analogously: Emacs allows '' as a substitute for
    whitespace in deciding whether to replace the ? or * with the file name.

It is worth thinking about.
I saw people discussing other methods, %s and envvars.
The envvar method is too inconvenient.  %s might be acceptable;
people mainly discussed how to implement it.

Let's compare these two methods in terms of desirability as
features.