Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:41:07 +0900 (JST)

> Your environment variable suggestion is not as easy as it appears.
I read all of your message; and agree with you.
I understand the implementation is not so simple.

> First of all, we can not leave things up to the shell.
As you wrote, what I wanted is we leave things up to the shell.

I think using shell syntax directory is better than adding extra
syntax in dired even if the amount of typing by an user increases.
In some case, avoding mistaking is more impotent than quick operation.

The next example is not so realistic but worth to consider:

    login: root
    Password: *****
    # emacs
    M-x dired
    Dired (directory): /
    m on some files
    !
       rm -rf *

If syntax added in dired for * becomes more complex(e.g. putting ''
around *), I'm afraid to use ! in this case.

       rm -rf ${DIRED}

The uesr will feel easier. Especially the uesr ues both the latest emacs
in the CVS repository and older emacs.

Anyway, dired needs new command line parser.  Many objections will be
but I propose remove * and ? from dired and introduce ${dired} and
${DIRED}.

Masatake YAMATO