All platforms fail with Unicode in menus.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: All platforms fail with Unicode in menus.
Date: 25 Aug 2004 23:48:23 +0200

Hi, considering that most Window systems can deal with iso10646 fonts
more or less properly, one should imagine that this would mean Unicode
to be supported in most environments.

The following package (a standalone excerpt from AUCTeX) can be loaded
with

  emacs -q -no-site-file unicode-menu.el

Pressing <f8> will add a "Math" menu to the menu bar.  This menu
contains TeX control sequences and corresponding Unicode.

Most platforms just produce some garbage that looks like an attempt at
Latin-1.  This includes Carbon, the standard X11 toolkits and Windows.
The best contender right now is GTK which gets it right, except that
it completely garbles the menus when garbage collection occurs during
their creation (the gc-cons-threshold setting at the end of this
example file more or less ensures that stuff gets garbled).

Since those kind of menus make for quite a bit of attraction, I'd
kindly ask the various platform programmer to consider accessing
Unicode support of their operating system/toolkit, and I'd appreciate
it if the GTK support of Unicode was made robust against garbage
collection.

Thanks,