Re: Filename completion for the 'file widget

From: Suraj Acharya
Subject: Re: Filename completion for the 'file widget
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:34:08 -0700

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

Suraj Acharya wrote:
 > Kevin Rodgers wrote:
 >> That doesn't seem right.  I was going to suggest something like
 >
 > Why do you say it's not right? It gives me the behavior I expect, ie
 > relative paths stay relative and I still get completion for them. It
 > uses default-directory for the current buffer as the base for the
 > relative path completion.

I was confusing the necessity of file-name-as-directory (which Stefan
correctly pointed out in his response) with the functionality of
expand-file-name.  Sorry!

In this particular case I think file-name-as-directory isn't required because the directory name comes from file-name-directory which the docs hint might always add a file separator character at the end.

 >> But it's not clear to me (1) why widget-file-complete expands the
 >> pattern nor (2) why it can safely assume the pattern has a non-nil
 >> directory that can be passed as the second arg to
 >> file-name-completion.
 >
 > (2) is definitely a bug. Asking for completion in a blank 'file widget
 > gives "let*: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil" in the minibuffer.

It looks to me like it would fail any time the widget doesn't contain
a directory separator, since e.g. (file-name-directory "foo") returns
nil.  (And isn't it file-name-completion that signals the error, not
let*?)

Yes, I was just indicating that there's at least one case where the code throws an error and so is buggy.

Suraj