Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:17:47 -0300

> From: "Eli Zarestkii" <address@hidden>
>
> >From: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:06:10 +0200
> >>
> >> I agree that the packaging and user-preferences basically should be
> >> separated. But it is also important to make a more easy road to emacs for an
> >> ms windows user.
>

> Please don't do that: a freshly installed Emacs on Windows should
> behave the same as on Unix.  Anything else calls for problems and
> misunderstandings when peopel report bugs.
>
> I completely agree with Stefan: anything that doesn't work out of the
> box on Windows is a bug that should be solved in the core
> distribution, not in add-on packages.

I also completely agree with Eli and Stefan.

> >> I agree. Some time ago I sent a pointer to w32-printing.el that I have
> >> uploaded to http://www.emacswiki.org/. Since I uploaded this I have realized > >> that I want to change some things in it, but basically it contain what I > >> believe is an easy and sufficiently good printing solution for Emacs on ms > >> windows. It does not however have all the options that printing.el have, it > >> is a much simpler solution. The advantage it has is that it uses the default > >> windows printing setup. I wrote it simply because I had trouble printing to
> >> the network printers at my job from Emacs. It can print in two ways:
> >> a) Through Notepad using just "notepad.exe /p"
> >> b) Through Internet Explorer. This uses htmlize.el to color the printout.
>

> This is IMHO ridiculous: we should not use these tools to print, we
> should instead add the code to Emacs to do whatever they do to find
> the default printer.  Ghostscript does that, and Ghostscript is free
> software, so someone should be able to look in its code and find the
> trick.

Indeed, Emacs already has code in Emacs Lisp to deal with this, the packages
are:

lpr.el --- print Emacs buffer on line printer
Copyright (C) 1985, 1988, 1992, 1994, 2001, 2003
Free Software Foundation, Inc.

ps-print.el --- print text from the buffer as PostScript
Copyright (C) 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002,
2003, 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

printing.el --- printing utilities
Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Free Software Foundation, Inc.

> >> A user may want to use both this and the postscript printing. Postscript > >> printing does not work without Ghostview which most users on ms windows does
> >> not have installed.
>

> Postscript print does not automatically work on Unix, either, if you
> don't have access to a Postscript-able printer.

Ghostview is used for previewing a PostScript file.  It also can be used to
preview a PDF file.

Ghostscript is used for printing a PostScript file if you don't have a
PostScript printer.

To print a PostScript file in Windows, Unix or any other OS you need to have a
PostScript printer.