Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: 27 Aug 2004 17:47:29 +0200

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> writes:

> From: "Benjamin Riefenstahl" <address@hidden>
> To: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Emacs Devel" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
>
> > In the end you will have to decide for yourself.  A quick look into my
> > sources indicate that you probably want
> >
> >   ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/AFPL/gs814/gs814w32.exe
> >
> > That looks like the latest AFPL version (for non-commercial use only,
> > but with source available), the version that is also used by GSView.
>
> Since www.gnu.org was down I happened to download the AFPL version
> yesterday. Reading the license it seems free enough. You can use it
> commercially, there is no restriction on its use as far as I can
> see. You can however not redistribute it and charge for it.

And that's the snag that makes it nonfree.  Effectively redistributing
free software is done in Linux distributions, CD collections,
subscriptions, whatever.  All of these are done for a fee.  If you
order GNU software from the FSF, for example, there is a price tag.
Software that is not free to redistribute, is not useful for our
purposes, since it can't be generally included into free software
offerings.