Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:59:37 -0400

    My '' suggestion wanted to implement a similar trick for the opposite
    problem, where one wants ? to be expanded without having to surround
    it by whitespace.

I see.

    But I am not so sure about my suggestion any more.  Some users might
    currently be using ?'' or *'' instead of the suggested ?"" or *"" to
    prevent expansion by Emacs and insert an isolated ? or * as a
    wildcard.

We need not hesitate to make incompatible changes in little
interactive commands like this.  The question is what interface is
best to use.