Re: small Eshell docfix

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: small Eshell docfix
Date: 30 Aug 2004 15:46:58 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > Actually, I think everybody would prefer it to be *.  The only reason
> > I said that in the comment is that ksh uses "\word" to override any
> > alias defined for "word".  Feel free to remove that line from the
>
> Not only ksh.  Pretty much all shells from either the bourne or csh family
> use that convention it seems.

I actually mis-read the original doc strings several times before getting
the meaning ...

 external version.  UNIX users may prefer this variable to be \."
 external version.  UNIX users may prefer this variable to be \\."

I read it as .. "to be period"  rather than "to be backslash" ...

A better wording (that also avoids mentioning UNIX) may be:

 external version.  Users of bash and similar shells may
 prefer to use \\ here.