Re: global-autorevert-mode does not preserve read-only status

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: global-autorevert-mode does not preserve read-only status
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:57:20 -0400

        1. C-x C-f /var/log/syslog (or any other growing log file)
        2. That buffer shoudl not be edited, so we want C-x C-q
        3. M-x global-autorevert-mode (start following all logs)

    ... after a while the log buffer is reverted, but unfortunately the
    read only status that the user activated for the buffer is not
    preserved after auto reverted has reloaded the buffer.

    I think the state should be preserved as user had set it.

For Autorevert mode, I agree.
Manual revert should recalculate the read-only status based
on the file, as it does now.