Re: small Eshell docfix

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: small Eshell docfix
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:24:32 -0400

    The change you are proposing takes the emphasis away from Emacs, and
    puts it on GNU/Linux.  Since we are talking about Emacs, why all the
    hoopla about GNU/Linux?

GNU Emacs is a part of the GNU system, and its main purpose is to make
the GNU system better.  That is why I wrote it.  It would be a mistake
to get distracted by other systems.

>From Information For Maintainers of GNU Software:

    The most important platforms for a GNU package to support are GNU and
    GNU/Linux.  Developing the GNU operating system is the whole point of
    the GNU Project; a GNU package exists to make the whole GNU system more
    powerful.  So please keep that goal in mind and let it shape your work.
    For instance, every new feature you add should work on GNU, and
    GNU/Linux if possible too.  If a new feature only runs on GNU and
    GNU/Linux, it could still be acceptable.  However, a feature that runs
    only on other systems and not on GNU or GNU/Linux makes no sense in a
    GNU package.

    It is important to test the program personally on GNU or GNU/Linux,
    because these are the most important platforms for a GNU package.  If
    you don't have access to one of these platforms, please ask
    @email{maintainers@@gnu.org} to help you out.

    Supporting other platforms is optional---we do it when that seems like a
    good idea, but we don't consider it obligatory.

To give Windows and GNU equal consideration in Emacs development is
out of the question.  Any argument which leads to that conclusion is a
reductio ad absurdam.