Re: CVS Emacs list-buffer-noselect calls set-window-buffer, displays eve

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs list-buffer-noselect calls set-window-buffer, displays every buffer briefly!
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 15:40:04 -0400

Stephan Stahl wrote:

> Kevin Rodgers writes:
>
>> But you have not only selected the buffer, you have modified the
>> buffer-window correspondence, and the doc string hints that you might
>> have forced a redisplay:
> [...]
>> Does replacing (progn (set-window-buffer ...) ...) with
>> (with-current-buffer (set-buffer buffer) ...) work?
>
> No that does not work.  Inside the loop that creates the buffer list
> is a (with-current-buffer buffer).  The additional (set-buffer buffer)
> you suggested does not make a difference.

If, in order to read text from the mode line for every buffer, we must
force the mode line for every buffer to be redisplayed (along with the
buffer itself), then _preventing_ redisplay from happening in this code
will prevent the code from reading text from the mode line of every
buffer, which was its original goal.

IMHO, briefly displaying every buffer is an unacceptable price to pay to
be able to read the mode line for every buffer.
--
Francis Litterio
address@hidden