Re: small Eshell docfix

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: Re: small Eshell docfix
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:06:32 +0200

Richard Stallman writes:

>     But why don't we just let the default depend on
>     system-type
>           (if (memq system-type '(windows-nt ms-dos)) ?*
>           ?\\)

>     Lots of other default settings already depend on
>     system-type, so I don't see why this is any different,
>     as long as we get the proper default for GNU.

> It is fine to do this, if the best default is different
> for different systems.

For users of DOS-like systems there is no "best" default,
since DOS command interpreters don't offer such functionality.

Indeed one of the advantages of Eshell is the uniform
interface across different systems, only possible because
it's written in Elisp.  Make it gratuitously behave
differently without any advantage from this change is
counter-productive for the users.