Re: address@hidden: Re: maybe disable scroll-left]

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: maybe disable scroll-left]
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 14:36:14 +0200

>> I found a keystroke that will leave users jumbled if accidentally hit:
>> C-x < runs the command scroll-left.
>> Hey man, where'd my text go? Undo, undo, undo... no relief.
>> Maybe it's hiding up at the top left corner somewhere? Hitting
>> beginning-of-buffer, backwards-char, beginning-of-line won't help.
>> Maybe "disable" scroll-left.

When I got started with Emacs this freaked me out.  I invariable
killed Emacs, not daring to save (assuming that the file would be
empty).

It took me a long time to learn what actually happened.  I think I
only discovered it when I was actually learning about scroll-left and
scroll-right.  *Then* I realized what had been happening.

An alternative to disabling it would be a message that tells me how to
return to the previous state.  Much like help on something says:

Type M-x switch-to-buffer RET to remove help window.  C-M-v to scroll the help.

We could use a message:

Type M-x scroll-right RET to scroll back to your previous position.

Alex.
--
.O.  http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/
..O  Schroeder's fifth law: