Re: missing docs for _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: missing docs for _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:28:37 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> There is a single BDF property which might be of interest for the
> user: _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_.  Currently, it is completely
> undocumented (except a rough description in ps-bdf.el); you have to
> look into the emacs source code to find some explanation.

> IMHO the very problem is that the user will never know that this
> property exists at all.  She will wonder why some glyphs jump out of
> the base line, without finding a solution.

> Besides documentation I suggest to make this value configurable for
> each font.  It is a non-trivial task to find the original BDF, add the
> _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_ property, convert it to PCF and compress it,
> replace the proper font in the X11 font directory, run `xset fp
> rehash', and finally restart Emacs.

> [My suggestion comes from the fact that in the SuSE GNU/Linux
> distribution this property is missing for the Efont family -- I've
> already submitted a bug report.]

_MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_ is a non-official property introduced
in several fonts of foundry "etl" because ascent/descent of
those fonts have intentionally wrong values so that they fit
well with CJK fonts of the same size.  So,
_MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_ should be necessary only for such a
font.  Do you mean Efont family also has incorrect
ascent/descent values?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden