Re: Slow access to files using UNC path

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Slow access to files using UNC path
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:23:55 +0530

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:18:14 +0200, Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dhruva Krishnamurthy <address@hidden> writes:
>
> IMO, a better name would be something like `vc-ignore-file-re'.
>
> (defvar vc-ignore-file-re "\\`\\([\\/][\\/]\\|/net/\\|/afs/\\)"
>   "Regular expression matching file names that are not under vc control.
> Specifically, it is used to avoid determining whether file is under vc-arch
> or vc-mcvs. The default regexp prevents the determination of type of vc for
> folders in UNC, net and afs. This speeds up opening of files by not trying to
> determine whether file is under vc. This can be modified by user to match a
> different directory or file names.")

Accept, the above looks much better. if I make a new patch and submit,
will someone check it in? I have no write access.

> BTW, I don't understand why this is specific for vc-arch and vc-mcvs ?
>

>From my understanding after reading comments in vc.el (Adding support
for other backends), vc-backend-registered is implemented for the new
"backend". I did a grep and found only "arch" and "mcvs" implements
this. So, the fix is isolated to these two files.

with best regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Proud FSF member: #1935