Re: Rmail mbox-format branch

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Rmail mbox-format branch
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:39:37 +0200

> I don't think it's reasonable to hope for that.  Experience shows that
> 21.4 will most probably be followed by a bugfix release 21.5, a month
> or two after 21.4 is out; if that happens, we cannot move 22.1 into a
> pretest before the bugfix release is out.

It will probably take a month or two for the emacs developers
to fix bugs in the unicode branch before starting pretest on 22.1 --

in the meantime, we can run a pretest for 21.5 bug-fix release if
necessary.

> Experience also shows that a pretest of a major new release takes
> several months.  21.1 took more than 6 months, IIRC, and it was used
> by more people before the pretest than the Unicode branch is now.

21.1 was developed within a "closed group".  21.4 has been developed
in a wide open forum since day 1, and I think that CVS emacs is used
by MANY users everyday already -- and as such has got more pre-testing
already than 21.1 ever got!

So I'm pretty optimistic re. the length of the 21.4 pretest.

But if we merge the rmail/mbox branch to trunk now, I'm much less
optimistic :-(

> So I don't think 22.1 could be released before the end of next year,
> even with the most favorable assumptions.

Could be...

Personally I don't think that's too bad if we get 21.4 out in 2004.

I think rmail can use BABYL until end 2005 -- why not ??