Re: Build error: "nmake info" in "emacs/man"

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Build error: "nmake info" in "emacs/man"
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:21:53 +0530

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:20:22 +0100, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:
>
> >I found an alternate way to do that:
> >cd $(srcdir) & $(MAKEINFO) pgg.texi
> >Replace the ';' with '&' and things works with nmake! I tried it in
> >the makefile.w32-in
> >

> It looks like you may have found a way to support out of source builds
> on Windows. If that works on all the variations of make (Mingw GNU make
> and MS nmake) and shell (cmd.exe and Cygwin bash) that the Windows build
> supports, then we should use it.

The '&' works  with MinGW GNU make (gmake), MSVC nmake. I have tried
this both on cmd and bash shells.

> >Let me know the desired behaviour (what out of source build means), I
> >will be able to do that.
> >

> It means that you can do something like the following:
>
> mkdir emacs-build
> cd emacs-build
> make -f ../emacs-src/nt/Makefile
>
> and all the output files of the build process end up in emacs-build,
> keeping the source tree clean.
>
> In addition to needing cd $(srcdir) in places, the fact that the nt
> build files are in emacs-src/nt may compilcate matters.
>
> If you want to work on this, I'd do it on a branch for now, as changes
> to the build system might disrupt any pretest that should be starting soon.

I thought it was not working only for "info" target. Since it does not
work for any of the other targets, I guess it needs lot of work. I do
not have write access to CVS , so I will work on a local copy and give
it a try.

-dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935