Re: isearch-resume-enabled

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: isearch-resume-enabled
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:21:51 +0200

> I see you added the variable, described this way in etc/NEWS:
>
>       +++
>     + ** New user option `isearch-resume-enabled'.
>     + This option can be disabled, to avoid the normal behavior of isearch
>     + which puts calls to `isearch-resume' in the command history.
>
> This doesn't clearly explain the user-level behavior
> either in the default case or in the other case.
> The doc string doesn't, either.
>
> Could you explain to me what they are?

With the default setting, when you do C-s SOMETHING RET, a command
     (isearch-resume "SOMETHING" nil nil t "SOMETHING" (quote t))
is added to the command history.

IMO, this is very annoying.

C-s C-s already resumes the last isearch, and
C-s M-p M-p resumes earlier isearches.

So there's no reason to clutter C-x ESC ESC with this.

Setting isearch-resume-enabled to nil avoid cluttering the command
history with those (superfluous) isearch-resume commands.

I would recommend using isearch-resume-enabled = nil the default.