Re: gdb-ui can't handle mutiple debugging sessions

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gdb-ui can't handle mutiple debugging sessions
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:12:35 +1200

> When trying to use two debugging sessions at the same time gdb-ui gets
> completely confused.  As soon as I start the second session all input is
> sent to it, even when typed in the window of the first session.  This is a
> serious regression compared the old interface.

Thats right, gdb-ui can only handle one debugging session at a time. Trying
to run more seemed to require the code to be a lot more complex and
at the time only one overlay arrow was available so, in any case the old
interface didn't do it very well. I have always found the best way to run
two
debugging sessions at the same time is to run two versions of Emacs.
Whats the problem with this approach?

I don't see this as a serious regression and so far no-one else appears to
(gdb-ui has been in CVS Emacs for almost two years now). If you
can convince me otherwise or if others agree with you I will look at
adding support for multiple sessions. However, I think this would be a
major task which I could not complete till after the next release.

Nick