auto-fill-mode and docstring

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: auto-fill-mode and docstring
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:33:53 +0900

Hi,

Recently, I rearranged docstrings in some ELisp files using
auto-fill-mode and noticed it inserts undesired spaces in the
beginning of lines.  For instance, when I type space just after
`jumps' in the following form

(defun quick-brown-fox (jumps-over &optional the-lazy-dog)
  "The quich brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
The quich brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.  The quich brown fox jumps

, it is folded as follows:

(defun quick-brown-fox (jumps-over &optional the-lazy-dog)
  "The quich brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
The quich brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.  The quich brown fox
  jumps

Is inserting fill-prefix there an intended behavior?  I also
noticed it can be avoided by setting adaptive-fill-mode as nil,
and finished the work smoothly.

In addition, emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column doesn't seem to be
effective when folding docstring lines.  Is it right?

Regards,