Re: tramp (2.0.44); emerge-files fails with remote ssh file

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.44); emerge-files fails with remote ssh file
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:20:44 +0200

Sebastien Kirche <address@hidden> writes:

> emerge-file fails with the following :
> ,----
> | diff: /tmp/tramp.3617GRY: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
> | diff: /Users/seki/.emacs: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
> `----
> Error is french for 'no such file or directory'
> Both remote and local files are already loaded in the 2 windows.

Indeed. In the actual debug buffer you've provided, the following
traces are seen:

$ diff  /tmp/tramp.406Ykj /Users/seki/.emacs; tramp_old_status=$?
diff: /tmp/tramp.406Ykj: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
diff: /Users/seki/.emacs: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type

This means, that Tramp has been instructed by `emerge-files' to
perform the diff command on the remote host. But both files reside on
the local host; it MUST fail therefore.

I suspect it depends on the order you take the files: it will work if
the local file is the first one chosen, and the remote file is the
second one; and it will fail if you apply them the reverse order. (Or
vice-versa; don't blame me ...).

In general it means that `emerge-file' is not Tramp-ready, because it
will always call diff via `shell-command', independant whether
default-directory of the buffer related to is located on a locale host
or on a remote one.

I fear there's nothing Tramp can do fixing it. It must be done in
`emerge-make-diff-list' or somewhere around.

> I had also once another fail with the following
> ,----
> | \ No newline at end of file
> | \ No newline at end of file
> `----
> The files used to have a final newline, but i have added one and it seems to
> be fixed (?)

In your debug buffer there are several encoded files. Your remote file
"/home/seki/.emacs" contains "^M" as EOL character. Maybe
`emerge-files' has a problem with that.

> Regards,
> Sébastien Kirche

Best regards, Michael.