Re: Propertizing the minor-mode-alist

From: James Clark
Subject: Re: Propertizing the minor-mode-alist
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:32:22 +0700

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 21:00, Stefan wrote:
> > Perhaps there could be a new keyword :propertize-default that changes
> > the text properties of only those characters in the string that do not
> > already have a value for any of the specified properties.  Or maybe this
> > should be the behavior of :propertize.
>
> I think it makes sense to change the behavior of `:propertize' here.

It turns out that the existing code already tries to merge the existing
properties of the string with the properties specified in :propertize,
but it doesn't work in this case for two reasons:

- the code gets the existing properties just by looking at the first
character of the string; in my case the first character is a space which
doesn't have any properties, i.e. my code does

         (concat " "
                 (propertize "Invalid"
                             'help-echo "mouse-1: go to first error"
                             'local-map (make-mode-line-mouse-map
                                         'mouse-1
                                         'rng-mouse-first-error)))

- the code gives the new properties priority over the existing
properties

Attached is a patch that

- when the first character has no properties, gets the properties from
the last character;

- gives priority to the existing properties over the new properties.

James
--
To send me mail, replace auth-only by public in the from address.