Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:43:03 +0200

Oliver Scholz <address@hidden> writes:

> That means I can stop thinking about implementing word processor
> functionality for Emacs right now and go back to use it just as a
> programmer's editor.  It is not the application then, that I thought
> it would become.

What a pity.

I agree with Oliver and with Bob: Emacs already displays something
that's different than what is present in the file, and people like
that.  Oliver is just proposing to go further in that direction.
Those working on bidi are also proposing to go further in that
direction.

Perhaps one can make small steps.  One step could be to allow
word-wrap in the display engine.  Then one could start to work out the
issues with missing newlines in the buffer text.

For this part, we already have another implementation, longlines.el,
that works by frobbing the buffer text.

I do not expect the display engine implementation to be inferior.

Kai