Re: Propertizing the minor-mode-alist

From: James Clark
Subject: Re: Propertizing the minor-mode-alist
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:50:37 +0700

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 06:23, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     - the code gives the new properties priority over the existing
>     properties
>
> That is the intended behavior of the feature; I don't want to change
> that.

How would you suggest fixing the original problem (of a minor mode
wanting to make the string that it puts in the mode line clickable in a
way specific to that minor mode)? How about either

- another keyword (say :propertize-default) which gives the new
properties priority over the existing properties

- a way for the :propertize keyword to specify the priority of each new
property relative to the exisiting properties

?  The only other alternative I can think of is for mode-line-format not
to simply apply :propertize to minor-mode-alist, but instead to use
:eval and apply :propertize only to those minor modes that specify a
string without properties.

>     - when the first character has no properties, gets the properties from
>     the last character;
>
> That change is ok.  To make it really "right", it should set the specified
> properties for the whole contents of the string, leaving other properties
> unchanged.

I agree that would be better.

James
--
To send me mail, replace auth-only by public in the from address.