Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:04:54 +0200

> FWIW, I think there _is_ a way to add sophisticated word-processing
> capabilities to Emacs without breaking the basic Emacs design
> assumptions.  One good idea was already suggested in this thread: when
> Emacs decodes a file which has embedded information about the text
> layout, it should convert that information into a combination of
> characters and text properties, such that Lisp programs and C code
> that look at the buffer text could extract the layout information from
> that text alone.  In other words, convert indentation to the
> appropriate amount of whitespace, add newlines where line-wraps are
> required (and put some text properties on those added characters to be
> able to treat them specially, e.g. at save-file time), add text
> properties for paragraph-level style information, etc.
>
> If you think that this approach will not work, can you tell why?

If I do search&replace on text that is in a run-in paragraph, I don't
want to cater for CR and multiple spaces that are just added for the
sake of appearance.  If my text is conceptually a long line separated
by single spaces (but displayed as a formatted block), then I want my
buffer modification attempts to work on exactly that, and nothing
else.

The user-accessible cursor commands, of course, should try to do
_visual_ motion usually.