Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:32:17 +0300

> Cc: Oliver Scholz <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>         address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:04:54 +0200
>
> If I do search&replace on text that is in a run-in paragraph, I don't
> want to cater for CR and multiple spaces that are just added for the
> sake of appearance.

I agree; these commands will need to know about the special text
properties and skip/ignore such characters.

However, similar modifications to search/replace commands are required
anyway for Unicode-compatible text editing (e.g., canonical
decompositions and combining sequences, see UAX#15).

Also, it seems to me that they (the modifications) are less intrusive
than what we will need if the displayed text is different from what a
Lisp program can find in the buffer.