Re: Propertizing the minor-mode-alist

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Propertizing the minor-mode-alist
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:55:24 -0400

    How would you suggest fixing the original problem (of a minor mode
    wanting to make the string that it puts in the mode line clickable in a
    way specific to that minor mode)?

I have somewhat of a bad feeling about this interface as a way of
doing things.  Users would not expect such an interface or look for
it, so the mode ought to provide something else.  What is that
other interface?

    - another keyword (say :propertize-default) which gives the new
    properties priority over the existing properties

:propertize gives its new priority over the existing properties
in the strings.  I think you mean giving the existing properties
priority.

Such a feature could certainly be implemented and made safe.
One must not simply copy and tweak the code for :propertize,
because the handling of risky needs to be thought about.
However, I tend to think that the right solution is to use
an interface that is more typical of Emacs features.