Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:05:18 +0000 (UTC)

   ... When working with a document in what you call the surface
   expression, then it would be nice, if a command toggle would show
   what you call the deep representation of a paragraph (a block box)
   or a region.  Then you could make changes to that and issue the
   command again to get the updated surface representation.

If I understand you rightly, the idea here is that you look at one of
the surface representations is a read-only display and maintain the
same position in the read-write deep representation buffer.  You can
either keep the two buffers visible at the same time or switch from
one to the other.

This sounds good.  Moreover, it is less complex than writing a program
to edit a sufficiently complex surface expression.

Generally, I would expect you to look at at least two different
surface expressions at the same time, such as Info and DVI.  This way
you could avoid accidentally focusing too much on just one output
format.  With the deep representation, this means three visible
windows.  You might set things up so that by default a frame is laid
out with three windows above each other.

For example:

         +-----------------------------+
         |                             |
         |   Info surface expression   |        (Read only)
         |                             |
         +-----------------------------+
         |                             |
         |    DVI surface expression   |        (Read only)
         | Texinfo deep representation |        (Read-write)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8