Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 06:47:47 +0300

> Cc: Oliver Scholz <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:11:42 +0200
>
> With the current emacs display engine, there is no way
> to display something simple like
>
>  AAAbbbbbbb
>  AAAccccccc

Yes, I know about the limtations of the display engine, but those
limitations will need to be lifted anyhow, for Emacs to be able to
display examples that Oliver talked about.

What I asked was about the idea of rearranging the text in the buffer
as dictated by the style information in the file, not about current
limitations of the display engine.  I suggested to discuss specific
problems in using that idea to implement word-processing features.
Obviously, display of arbitrary mixtures of variable-size characters
doesn't belong to the class of problems that this idea could solve.