Re: Slow access to files using UNC path

From: Damien Elmes
Subject: Re: Slow access to files using UNC path
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:25:58 +0900

Stefan <address@hidden> writes:

> Why use "" rather than something else (since you say it's ignored anyway)?
> I suspect "" will create other problems than just with this new VC code.
> E.g. I wouldn't be surprised to see it bump into uniquify for
> example.

The rationale behind "" was that a non-zero string may be
misinterpreted by a user/programmer as a real path, when its value
would just be ignored. We could probably change ERC to name buffers
with a fake path like "/foo/bar/baz", but that seems like even more of
a hack. The alternative would be a more elegant way for
basic-save-buffer to decide if it should prompt for a file name or
continue on.

Cheers,

Damien