Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:47:42 +0200

> In a word processor, what constructs would give you something like
> that?  I have no idea what HTML constructs could produce such a
> layout; if there is a way, it must go beyond the simple HTML markup
> that I know.

It could happen in a table, if a row contained a cell with a large
font and a cell with a small font.

It is also often used in old-style books for the first letter of a
chapter.  The first letter would be larger and look fancier than the
others.

If an image could also be a "character", then I can see how
positioning images in the text flow and letting the text flow around
them would produce something like this.

> It seems to me that Emacs would be an adequate word processor for
> editing things like manuals, and web pages that are mainly substance,
> even if it could not do anything like this.

I think especially the table example above is relevant for this.

Kai