Re: Is it permissible to bind C-<backspace> and/or C-<delete> in a major

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is it permissible to bind C-<backspace> and/or C-<delete> in a major mode?
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:30:47 -0400

In my previous message I was thinking C-c BACKSPACE and C-c DELETE by
mistake.  Those, by analogy, would make sense for major modes to bind.
C-BACKSPACE is a different issue.

    Other programs allow C-<backspace> to delete backwards a word and
    which move by words.)

This is in fact what C-BACKSPACE and C-DELETE do in Emacs.  So major
modes should not change them, unless to a mode-specific better way to
delete words.