Re: Propertizing the minor-mode-alist

From: James Clark
Subject: Re: Propertizing the minor-mode-alist
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:02:27 +0700

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 20:23, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I like the idea of using a C-u prefix to make the next error command go
> > to the first error.  I can definitely use that.
>
> > I don't see a good way to make it work with C-x `.  nxml-mode presents
> > errors using a very different style of UI from compile.el.  It's more
>
> M-x next-error is now "independent" from compile.el.
> Of course, this is specific to Emacs-CVS, but you could use this new feature
> by providing a next-error-function (that's the name of the new var
> introduced to decouple next-error from compile.el).

This looks great.  Let me just check my understanding here.

The doc string talks about "the next error in the current buffer".  This
means the next error following the error that was last found my the
next-error-function, not the next error after point.  So to support the
next-error-function I need to maintain an additional bit of state saying
which error in my buffer, if any, is the current error for the purposes
of next error function; if my next-error-function is called with a
non-nil RESET, I change the current error to be the first error in the
buffer.

If the user wanted to use next-error to run through the errors from an
XSLT processor, say, instead from nxml-mode, then they would make the
compilation buffer be the only one displayed in the frame before calling
next-error.

Have I misunderstood anything?

James