Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:20:43 -0400

    > Is it common practice to use "a caption for a row" in a document?

    Maybe not, but it shows the general concept of what is displayed in
    one table cell can be _completely_ unrelated to what is displayed in
    another table cell.

I understand the concept.  What I'm getting at is whether it is
important for Emacs to support such tables.  All else being equal, of
course we might as well support them.  But how important should that
be as a factor in difficult design decisions?

    Consider also the example that instead of AAA we have a tall image,
    and bbbb ccccc etc is text that is displayed next to that image like
    this:

Hmm, that is important.  But it might be easier to support this
with just images than to support this with editable text inside
the box.  The cursor would not have to be able to move thru the
image.