Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:21:01 -0400

    [nested blocks]
    > What does it *mean* to copy a character from inside environment
    > `larum' which is inside environment `lirum' and insert it somewere
    > else?  What should that character look like in its new location?

    * Ignore the block formatting properties and copy only normal text
      properties.

In that case, you get a behavior that is equivalent to putting the
block properties into the buffer as markup.  If that's what we want,
I suggest we look at representing the information with markup
that consists of text in the buffer.

An implementation using text properties that state the paragraph
properties might also be possible, as you have been investigating.

    Word processors as well as the file formats used in word processing
    typically provide several ways to apply character formatting
    properties on text:

    *  paragraph formatting stylesheets
       - RTF: \sN
       - HTML: block elements like h1, h2 ...

    *  character formatting stylesheets
       - RTF: \csN
       - HTML: inline elements like em

    *  direct specification of character formatting properties
       - RTF: \fN, \fsN, \b ...
       - HTML: i, b, font ...

The latter two can be implemented easily with text properties.  In
fact, Emacs supports them both now with text properties.  For the
present discussion, we can treat them as two variants of the same
thing.

So that is one issue we need not spend time on.

    > Why ask the question?  Why not just accept that it's a paragraph
    > of partly h1 text and partly h2 text?

    In HTML there is no such thing as a paragraph that is partly H1 and H2
    text.

That doesn't mean it can't exist in an Emacs buffer.  Our imaginations
need not be limited by what HTML can comprehend ;-).