Re: holidays.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: holidays.el
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:28:21 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim F. Storm wrote:
>
>> These changes are more than a "tiny change", so we need papers from
>> HÃ¥kon to install these changes.
>
> I was unsure about that, so I consulted RMS before installing the
> changes. He said the opposite to you, but it's entirely possbile I
> didn't explain the changes well, so I'm ready to revert them.
>

> Richard Stallman wrote (on Wed, 22 Sep 2004 at 10:00 -0400):
>
>>     I would install this, but I'm unsure as to whether there is a
>>     copyright issue. The total number of lines changed is > 15, but
>>     the actual idea behind the changes is simple, and it's really
>>     just case of moving some code from one place to another in a
>>     repetitive way. Can you advise please?
>>
>> A change like that is not significant for copyright purposes.
>> You go by the amount of new material that he actually wrote.

The code "moved" from holidays.el to calender.el is 'similar'
but not identical.

It involves taking 40 lines from a function in holidays.el and change
them into a form suitable for initializing a defcustom in calender.el.

I agree that the 'transformation' is repetitive/mechanical, and the
end-result is functionally equivalent to the original code.  Still,
the change involves more than just "moving" code.