Re: handle cygwin path from ldapsearch

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: handle cygwin path from ldapsearch
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:14:11 -0700 (PDT)

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:56:16 +0100: Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Right, but this problem is not specific to ldap but to cygwin.
> > When cygwin built, Emacs understands those filenames.
> > As for cygin-mount.el, it makes non-cygwin Emacs understand those file names
> > as well (by using a file-name-handler that rewrites them to the non-cygwin
> > format).
>
> cygwin-mount.el works transparently, but it is not distributed with
> Emacs, so perhaps it would be better to use convert-standard-filename
> here (and anywhere else that Emacs parses filenames from process
> output).

Aha!  That is the perfect function for this.  I didn't know the
existence of such function.

BTW, I'm not familiar with cygwin-mount.el but it sounds useful.  Is
there a reason why it is not included in emacs?  I rely on cygwin
because of its complete coverage and good maintenance.  However,
cygwin emacs is much slower and requires X emulation to have graphical
user interface.  I believe there is a good demand of using native
emacs (mingw/MSVC built) together with cygwin tools.

-Tak