Re: x-create-frame is sluggish

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: x-create-frame is sluggish
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:08:48 -0400

      My little profiling session
    determined that most of this time is spent in xic_create_fontset,
    calling XCreateFontSet.  Is it really necessary to create a new
    fontset for each new frame?  Can I do something to speed this up?

It must be possible to make frames share fontsets when those are the
same.  If someone wants to work on it.

At the moment our priority is to aim for a release, not for redesigns
like this.  But if you implement this change, we will surely want to
install it sooner or later.