Re: Comments on text.texi

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Comments on text.texi
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:43:01 +0200

>     > @item line-spacing
>     > @kindex line-spacing @r{(text property)}
>     > A newline can have a @code{line-spacing} text or overlay property
>     > that controls the height of the corresponding display line.
>     > @c ???  Which display line is "corresponding"?
>
>     The line ended by the newline.
>
>     If the line is continued, only the last display continuation line (the
>     one ended by the newline) is affected.
>
> That sounds rather inconsistent to me.  Is this really a useful behavior?

Line spacing is really only useful for displaying text (or editing
text in a Word Processor mode).

Such modes are unlikely to use continued lines, so I think it is quite
sufficient functionality for the intended usage.

Besides, it would be quite difficult to implement this "correctly" so
it can go back and modify the line spacing of display rows with
continued lines.