Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:47:14 -0400

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 03:21:11PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> Please comment on my other reply. We do not intend to do anything
> with 21.3. This is a general practice that could be started once
> the next trunk is released.
> You are telling that it is a waste of time: are you saying that
> the time we spend providing bugfixes for Debian users of Emacs
> is a waste of time?

I think it's a great idea if it starts from 21.4 like you said.

It would mean that the somewhat moribund "bugfix" branches in Emacs CVS would
actually be rather more actively updated, thanks to the Debian maintainers.
Since it they're _already_ doing that work  (in Debian), it won't mean much
extra burden for them.

So (1) Emacs users win (get more robust minor bugfix releases), (2) Emacs
maintainers win (have happier uers, and can worry less about rushing out
major releases because more bugs get fixed in the bug-fix releases), and
(3) the Debian maintainers win (by getting a wider audience for their
fixes, without all that much extra work).

Geez, what's there _not_ to like about this plan...?

-Miles
--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'