Editing keyboard macros

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Editing keyboard macros
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:05:02 -0500

When a keyboard macro is edited, it is assumed that the macro is an
array.  However, `kmacro-name-last-macro' and 'kmacro-bind-to-key' now
put the macro in a lambda expression, and so `edit-kbd-macro' gives an
error if you try to edit a named macro.  Should the naming of macros
be reverted to storing them as arrays?
(`edit-kbd-macro' could be partially rewritten, I suppose, but that
would be more work.  I assume that the named keyboard macros are
stored as lambda expressions so they can be called from lisp (which
would make the docstrings out of date).  But the ability to edit a
keyboard macro seems like too much to lose.)

Jay